Thursday, August 16, 2012

Kirsty Mitchell

Born in 1976, Kirsty Mitchell worked as a fashion designer until 2007, when a illness caused a change in her - one that made her pick up a camera;

"I cannot explain how this happened, but a new, deep, and genuine need was born. I used to say I had never truly 'looked' until it was through a lens... life was different, more beautiful, more sad, and extreme in every sense of the word. People mattered, how they sat, how they slept, how they looked when they thought no one else cared. I fell in love with the faces of strangers, and photography gave me a new purpose..."

Then her mother was diagnosed with cancer, from which she later died. Kirsty used the camera to get through her loss, and she says photography became "an overwhelming passion that I could not stop." When she was little her mother had read many stories for her, and now she started to produce photos "that echoed the memories of her stories, and the belief in wonder I have always felt since a child".

I saw some of Kirsty's work a while ago, and since I too love stories and share her belief in wonders, I fell completely in love with her photos! This is what the world really looks like - if you look at it closely...

The following pictures are from the collection Wonderland:

Once Upon a Time


Wild Thing


The Queen's Armada


The Garden of Whispered Wishes


A Listless Dawn


Portrait of a Princess


An Ocean of Tales, till the Shores of Home


Gammelyn's Daughter


The Voyage


The White Witch


Lady of the Lake


Far, Far Away (part I)


The Box of Delights


The Distant Pull of Remembrance


The White Queen


A Most Beautiful Death


The Twilight Covenant and the Promise of Home


Moondial


To see the whole Wonderland collection, or look at other work by Kirsty Mitchell, you can find her web site here!

2 comments:

  1. She's a favourite, love her work!! Posted about her ages ago, great reminder of her work this is :)))) I always love the fairy tale- other world feel to her photos...gorgeous!! Have a super day doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about her troubled life has really moved me, photography can be a beautiful thing and it's incredible that this has helped her get over her mother, the photographs themselves are amazing and incredibly glamorous, mystifying stuff Miss Meadows.

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash