Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Lilli Ann Suit

I have been looking for a vintage suit from the 40s for some time now. Since I'm such a small person, it's difficult to find things that fit me. Usually I can alter things to make them sit better on me, but a suit jacket is something I don't feel like trying to alter too much. But then one day, while searching through Etsy, and ending up at Shanghai Lili's Portmanteau of Pleasure, I found just what I had been looking for - a 40s suit in my size!!! And it gets even better - it's a Lilli Ann suit!

The clothing company Lilli Ann was started in San Francisco in 1933, by Adolph Schuman. He named it after his wife - Lillian - and during the 40s and 50s they were known for their high-quality fabrics and their elaborately designed suits and coats. I have seen pictures of many Lilli Ann suits, and admired the shape and details on all of them. So I have to say I felt quite satisfied when I found one...



It's slightly light-damaged. Probably from hanging in a store window. But it's far from as visible in reality, than on these pictures. If you don't know about it, you probably wouldn't think of it! When I look at these photos I'm not even sure the color shifts you can see in them really are the light-damage, or just my cameras fault...



The suit is made of wool, so it's perfect for fall! And as you can see it came with a short cape to make it even warmer!


According to the Vintage Fashion Guild the label is from late 40s-early 50s. 


The red felt hat is made by Sweden's own sexpert/hat designer Marika Smith, and was part of my payment for working and performing at her burlesque flea market last Saturday. But more about that another day...










13 comments:

  1. This suit is beautiful, it seems to have been made just for you – and the little red cap really makes it 'come alive'...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the outfit Miss Meadows, what an awesome buy, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helt underbar! Sitter som en smäck också :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous doll. I can see the light damage, but if you can't see it so much in person, then it's not to worry on. I think you look marvellous in it and it's great finding something that fits so well :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sjuktsnygg,älskar färgen på den! Letar själv efter en 40-tals kostym i rätt storlek, så vet hur svårt det är att hitta en!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm short, so I often struggle to find things that aren't ridiculously long on me! XD So feel your pain in similar way.

    You look gorgeous btw!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you liked it. Such a gorgeous suit. yaaay. It looks gorgeous on you. I am delighted it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Fitted me perfectly! :D I used it for a shoot a while ago too: http://missmeadowsvintagepearls.blogspot.se/2012/10/shoot-with-pelle-piano.html

      xox

      Delete
  8. so happy. I love to see my stuff go to good homes. That is a gorgeous shoot too. I will be adding your blog to my daily reading. xx.

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash