Friday, November 09, 2012

Fabergé Friday

A Fabergé egg for which there isn't so much information is the "Friendship Egg", or "Hoof Egg", from 1890!


This egg is made of pale green bowenite, supported by four gold legs with hoofs. It is decorated with gold laurel swags and pearls, and at the middle of a diamond bow sits a cabochon ruby. When this ruby is triggered the surprise springs up from the center of the egg - a round, framed portrait of Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna, dressed in court costume and with a tiara on her head. 

The "Friendship Egg" was given by Tsarina Alexandra to one of her friends. Now it can be seen in the Forbes collection

2 comments:

  1. This egg is awesome, I love the golden legs, that is so interesting and different from all the rest. I feel like it will pick up and gallop off if I look at it long enough ;) Stunning. Happy Friday doll, I hope it's a wonderful day for you & weekend too!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Miss Meadows. I love how it got its name after a lovely act of kindness, I wish that one of my friends would buy me and egg like this as a gift haha!

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash